More about Snapshots
Snapshots are not backups, but backup software will leverage snapshots to take backups of the VM.
- When you take snapshots the delta disks can potentially grow to the size of the original disk
- When you take snapshots be careful because you can easily run out of storage space on the datastore
Snapshot Best Practices
If you plan to take snapshots
- Do not over commit the datastore capacity
- In fact you should be under commit by up to 30%
- Do not create more than 1 snapshot
- Do not keep snapshots for more that 1 day, in exceptional cases on production VMs (powered VMs) you may keep it up to 2 days
Difference between Clone and Snapshot
Clone is another copy of the virtual machine, where as a snapshot is a capture of point time state of the virtual machine. If you delete the virtual machine, the snapshot will also be deleted along with the it, however the clone will remain intact because its a separate copy.