In addition to having:
- Accurate Timestamps within Log messages
- Accurate Performance Charts
- Correct Start and End times on Tasks & Events
- And, for VMs to Synchronize time with
Other reasons for having correct time configured on your ESXi include:
- For Triggering Scheduled jobs at correct time
Though you cannot schedule jobs on ESXi directly. However any jobs triggered by vCenter should get executed at correct time.
- For Active Directory Authentication
ESXi can be a active directory domain member. Hence if there is a time drift (of more than 5 minutes) between the ESXi host and the Kerberos server, then active directory authentications may fail.
Please go through the following URLs, for some of vSphere best practices on time keeping:
- KB Article: Timekeeping best practices for Windows, including NTP
- KB Article: Timekeeping best practices for Linux guests
- Whitepaper: Timekeeping in VMware Virtual Machines