I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to disable plymouth and get a clean text boot on Ubuntu 12.04. Hence thought of documenting it in case I forget how I did it :-).
Edit /etc/default/grub and make the following changes:
- Modify the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX variable and set it as shown below.
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="init=/sbin/init -v noplymouth INIT_VERBOSE=yes"
- Uncomment the GRUB_TERMINAL variable. It should be set to as shown below:
- Add a new line below the GRUB_TERMINAL variable declaration as shown below:
- Save the file /etc/default/grub
- Update the grub configuration and reboot.
Thats it. You should get a clean text boot with Ubuntu now!!!