There would be times when your ESXi iSCSI configuration may go for a toss. There could be a situation where you may need to reset your iSCSI configuration on your ESXi host back to factory defaults. Here is a quick way to just do that:
- Login to you ESXi host via the troubleshooting shell.
- Change to the iSCSI initiator configuration directory
- From the ESXi command prompt, run the ‘esxcfg-swiscsi’ cli utility to disable the iSCSI initiator on your ESXi host
- Delete the associated iSCSI initiator configuration file
rm -f initiatorname.iscsi iscsid.conf vmkiscsid.db
- Reboot the host using the vSphere client.
- That’s it.
After reboot you will have a vSphere host with a clean iSCSI configuration. Now you can go ahead and reconfigure the iSCSI initiator on your ESXi host and add any targets.